Sunday 6 May 2012

Getting Started...

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

Ever since I was a small boy I used to spend hours looking over maps old and new, tracing borders and mountain ranges with my fingers and imaging what life was like elsewhere. There was always something mysterious about unknown peoples and places that peaked my curiosity. 
As I got older the number of countries in the world continued to grow. I dreamed of traveling to all of them...

Sometimes it's astounding to stop and think about where you were one year ago and what direction you envisioned your life going in ...Recently it seems that there isn't much predictability involved in thinking about the future. 
One year ago I was working full time in Sydney, Australia but as of last week I am now committed to a 6-month CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) funded project working with Human Rights Internet (www.hri.ca), an Ottawa based NGO dedicated to conflict prevention, social justice and good governance, and PMG (Parliamentary Monitoring Group), a Cape Town based NGO. Until 1994 and the end of the apartheid regime the public was barred from entering the SA Parliament and no public record/ Hansard was kept of government meetings. As a part of HRI/PMG's commitment to good governance I will attend committee meetings and record the details within Hansard-style reports for public consumption. 

While in Cape Town I am planning to maintain this blog both as a record of my stay and as a reference for potential future participants.... 

I arrive in Cape Town on Wednesday morning! I'm really excited for the trip and getting started with PMG! SA is sometimes known as the 'world in one country', (due to its diverse range of plant and animal life) and Cape Town as the 'mother city', which makes it the perfect place to begin my SA adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the journey and visit all you can while in SA. It is a magical place, my magical place :-)

    ReplyDelete