Wednesday 9 May 2012

Arrival...

“All travel has its advantages. If the passenger visits better countries, he may learn to improve his own. And if fortune carries him to worse, he may learn to enjoy it.” – Samuel Johnson

 After spending a fantastic day in London yesterday with a good friend during my layover I arrived in Cape Town this morning after 2 days of travel. I have to say I was most impressed with Heathrow Airport it has really become incredibly efficient in the lead up to the Summer Olympiad. Having spent hours queuing through immigration in the past and having to deal with rather suspicious bordering on rude customs officials, this time round the people were polite and I was through and into Paddington within an hour! Remarkable...
London as always was a delight... definitely one of my favourite cities. Although it forecasted rain it was sunny and fresh- a perfect day for a walk in the Kensington Palace Gardens (my first time there) and Hyde Park with all the lovely Spring flowers, squirrels, a multitude of waterfowl and throngs of tourists!

The flight from London was a rare pleasure for economy class air travel! I haven't flown with British Airways in many years and the service was spot on. Incredibly polite flight staff with excellent food and comfortable seats! An out and out success...

I have to say I haven't experienced a smoother international trip... a sign of good things to come or a result of years of experience?;) Either way I hope it bodes well for the rest of my stay in SA.





On my first step out of the airport I encountered Table Mountain in all of its glory. Partially covered in early morning fog, I couldn't help but think this monument must have had at one time some deeper religious significance for earlier peoples in the area.

The weather this morning in Cape Town was stunning- sunny and crisp, the drive in from the airport was smooth and Isaac the cab driver was a hero. Very kind and attentive he provided some basic insight into the city and the Cape Flats.
For my first few days in Cape Town, I elected to take the advice of a friend and stay at the Green Elephant Backpackers hostel (www.greenelephant.co.za) in Observatory (Obs) a very cool up-and-coming neighbourhood, (reminiscent of New Town, NSW) and already that advice is paying dividends! The staff so far- Nyasha and Lucy, have proven to be extremely friendly and welcoming.

A very clear sign that I belong is this neighbourhood;)
I am really excited to be in Cape Town and go exploring for the next 5 days while I look for more permanent accommodation... Well I am famished... off for breakfast at Mimi's Cafe to refuel and start my SA adventure....

1 comment:

  1. Please give a big HUG to Nyasha and Lucy for me !!! Tell them that they are missed DEARLY! Breakfast at Coco Chachi and Coco Wawa (in Rondabush) is a MUST ! I have a dear friend Vafa, who is living in Observatory. If you would like to meet her and her friends please let me know and I can get you in touch. I also have Canadian friends, so let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete